Thursday, June 17, 2010

Shots on Net [17.06.10]

More reminders that it's the offseason in your SoN today. We're crying on the inside, yes.

Jaroslav Halak has been traded to the St. Louis Blues in return for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz. I...I'm crying. On the outside. More on this when we get more info. [ESPN

Canadien's assistant captain Brian Gionta is going to be bartending with Ryan Callahan of the New York Rangers at Murphy's Law Irish Pub in Rochester, NY on June 21. The event will begin at 7 pm and is a fundraiser for former Rochester Americans player Craig Charron, who is battling cancer. The article also features a mini interview with the two NHL players. And we now know that Brian spends his offseason in Greece. So cool. Check it out. [Messenger Post]

You can golf with Montreal's P.K. Subban and former Hab Stéphane Richer at the Medigas Celebrity Classic in Belleville, ON. Tee off on July 10 at the Trillium Wood Golf Club with your Habs for a good cause. Only 10 spots available, so move fast! If I knew how to play golf perhaps I would go, but alas, I do not. [The Intelligencer]

Speaking of golf, Hab's player Travis Moen had a golf tournament with Partick Marleau (San Jose) and former Canadien Trent McCleary for charity. The Trent McCleary - Patrick Marleau - Travis Moen Charity Golf Classic was held on Monday, June 14 at Elmwood Golf Course in Swift Current, SK. The money went to the Trent McCleary - Patrick Marleau - Travis Moen Sports and Recreation Foundation. Picture and article from The South West Booster. [SWBooster]

Travis Moen putts on the fifth hole

Habs great Émile Bouchard will be invested into the Order of Canada as a Member at a ceremony in Rideau Hall tomorrow.

The short citation:
For his contributions to sports, particularly professional hockey, and for his commitment to his community.
Félicitations Monsieur Bouchard! [The Governor General of Canada, first seen at Earth Times]

Tom Pyatt wants to stay with the Habs. He sounds committed. (Can we keep him, please?) [TBnewswatch.com]

Carey Price was at Bullarama in Kitimat, BC last weekend. He spoke about the Habs playoff run. [CFTK TV]

The exciting P.K. Subban will be a guest drawmaster (?) at the Mohawk Racetrack this Tuesday, June 22 for the Pepsi North America Cup. I know nothing about horse racing, so I'll let you read the articles. [Harness Link 1, Harness Link 2]

The early bird deadline for purchasing Hamilton Bulldogs (the AHL affiliate of the Canadiens) tickets is this Friday (tomorrow!). There are all sorts of incentives, including the opportunity to win a trip for two to Montreal to watch a Habs game. [Hamilton Bulldogs]

The Cincinnati Cyclones, the ECHL affiliate of the Canadiens and Predators (and their respecitve AHL affiliates) have been honoured. Vice President and General Manager Kristin Ropp was named ECHL's executive of the year. On May 21 the Cyclones won their second Kelly Cup in three years. Congrats to the team and to Ms. Ropp! [Cyclones Hockey, first seen at Our Sports Central]

Tomas Plekanec is number four on Yahoo! Sports' NHL's top 50 UFAs list. The Hockey News had him as first. Will he stay or will he go? Only time (and Pierre Guathier) will tell. [Yahoo!]

You can get autographed Canadiens stuff from HMV as part of their customer loyalty program. Not much info, but the source in the link. [Marketer News]

Whew. That was quite a bit. I had no idea our Habs were so active! I'm still a n00b when it comes to sports journalism, so I hope you'll bear with me.


Just for clarification: by 'first seen at' I don't mean that that was the first place that reported the story. It just means where I first saw it. Then I'll try to get a soure that's closer to the story, like the official website or something. But I like to give credit so you'll get more than one link. And sometimes the source where I spot the story first has more info or better explanations, so it doesn't hurt to click.

Ok, enough chat. If there's any more news, I'll update.

Enjoy your Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. Dang, wish I was a better golfer. I suspect the Habs would shame me, unfortunately. Also, I'm half a continent away. And not rich. Pity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, at least you can golf. My skills are non-existent. But I'm sorry.

    Thank you for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean folks!