Saturday, June 19, 2010

Goodbye Halak!

Montreal Canadiens' Jaroslav Halak skates off the ice during a break in play against the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 5 of their NHL Eastern Conference final hockey series in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania May 24, 2010. REUTERS/Mike Segar (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT ICE HOCKEY)

Goodbye Jaro.

Image from Reuters.

One biased rant/post coming your way.

Read on.

This trade did not please me. This trade made me cry. But something had to be done, right?

We could not afford Halak. We didn't even ask how much he wanted. St. Louis, who currently has the most cap space, probably can afford him. But if he gets a better offer from somewhere else (not likely going to happen), he'll go there. Wouldn't it be bad if Philly got him? I'd cry some more.

So, we knew we couldn't afford him. What did we get in return? Two players who are so unknown to most hockey fans that the Canadiens had to write articles about both of them. Lars Eller and Ian Schultz. Schultz has never played in the NHL, Eller has played seven games. These two prospects for Halak. IDK. I know it's a move based on the cap. But there's something else.

Managament loves Price. It's strange, the amount of confidence they have in him. It's not bad to love your first round picked goalie, but this much? I have to ask, did management not see the disappointment of the fans after the 2008 and 2009 playoffs when Price was in net? Did management not see how Halak played and lit the world on fire with his play in the 2010 playoffs? Halak brought so much excitement and joy to the fans. Price has let us down in the past. Let's say we get behind him and support. After all that, let's say we fail to qualify for the playoffs. What happens then? I don't think Price will be getting a one year contract this year. So he'll be in net. Even if he's not, who do we bring in? Halak? I don't think so. I can already hear the crowds chanting 'bring back Halak' after a poor perfomance by Carey.

If management wants to continue to protect their goalie, because he is not the goalie of the majority of fans, then they have to bring in a reliable back up that can carry the team if Carey melts down from the pressure or whatever else. Carey's not an idiot. He's matured from watching Halak play. He's watched his job get taken away and fans get behind his back up. Let's hope he learned something he can use to give us good performances. But we still need a good back up, just in case we need more of what Halak did this past season.

Many are trying to justify the trade, and that's fine. But if we don't make it to the ECF next year, I can understand if there are riots in Montreal asking for Pierre Gauthier to be fired. I'd like to join in those riots. I said I would respect PG's decision, but this is a tough and bitter pill to swallow. Even MP Justin Trudeau doesn't like the trade.

I just want to say one thing about the management. They never contacted Halak or his agent after the season ended, not even to say thanks. I get the strong feeling they were just using Halak to groom their beloved Price. They knew all along that they were going to get rid of him. That's a bit heartless. I know it's just business, but still, you should treat your employees with respect and courtesy. You can read about PG's preivous blunder here.

The trade is over, and what is done cannot be undone. We'll support Price, willingly or unwillingly. He's the only one we've got right now. (Literally.) I don't wish him any harm, I wish him all the best. I hope he can let the fans understand that PG made the right decision and that the faith placed in him was not for nothing. For those fans who've stopped being fans, shame on you! How can you support a team for just one player? We're better off without you. Bandwagon fans are not needed.

So I'd like to say goodbye to our MVP, our biggest revelation, our most improved player. The fans have spoken, but have been ignored. I hope it's worth the pain and suffering to let you go. I hope you get what you wanted, the opportunity to be number one. You were number one in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean folks!